About Me: I am a Professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at Texas A&M University. My research focuses on connecting people to information, with an emphasis on algorithms and systems that are trustworthy, resilient, and responsible.
Recently, our lab has been investigating conversational systems and large language models (of course!), recommendation algorithms with an emphasis on fairness and bias, plus many other aspects of machine learning and personalization.
My work has been supported by an NSF CAREER award, an AFOSR Young Investigator Award, a DARPA Young Faculty Award, and grants from Google, Amazon, AFOSR, DARPA, and the NSF. I am honored to have received the 2022 SIGIR Test of Time Award Honorable Mention, the 2020 CIKM Test of Time Award, plus several departmental and college-level teaching awards. In 2020, I was the General Co-Chair of WSDM 2020.
- (July 2023) I'm serving as a Track Chair for the Social Networks, Social Media, and Society track of The ACM Web Conference (formerly, WWW) to be held in Singapore from May 13 to 17, 2024. Please consider submitting! (Deadline is in October)
- (June 2023) Wrapped up one year as an Amazon Scholar working with the Prime Video team. It was a great experience and I'm happy to discuss if you would like to know more about the exciting opportunities at Amazon.
- (May 2023) Congrats to our newest undergraduate research scholars: Ronald Lee, Shri Mathavan, and Jack Sebastian! Ronald, Shri, and Jack each completed a thesis and graduated this May.
- (April 2023) I gave an invited keynote at the Decision Making for Information Retrieval and Recommender Systems workshop at the Web Conference in Austin. Thank you organizers for the invitation.
- (April 2023) Congratulations to Karthic Madanagopal on successfully defending his PhD dissertation! Karthic's work has focused on linguistic bias in Wikipedia. Well done!
- (April 2023) I'm delighted to welcome Takeshi Onishi as a Visiting Scholar to our lab. Takeshi joins us from Toyota in Japan after receiving his PhD from TTI at Chicago in 2020.